There are so many stock newsletters out there, our readers ask us all the time which is the best stock newsletter for the money.
While you could waste thousands of your own dollars (and several years) subscribing to various stock newsletters to find out which one is consistently the best, we decided to do it for you and share our results with you.
Did your stock portfolio outperform the market by 22% in 2018? If not, then you should keep reading to find out which is the best stock newsletter.
We now subscribe to a few dozen stock market newsletters and we make their recommended trades in our virtual trading accounts. Most of these stock newsletters recommend 1 to 5 stocks a month. Regardless, we buy all of the recommended stocks in their respective virtual trading accounts.
While all of the newsletters tell you what to buy, most don’t comment on when to sell. So we place 8% stop loss orders on all of the positions.
The Best Stock Newsletter
As to be expected, none of the stock newsletters we subscribed to had a perfect track record for all of their picks for 2018. Month after month we see that every service has a few good stock picks and a few bad picks.
One service, however, outperformed all of the rest for 2018 by a wide margin. It also happened to be our best stock newsletter for 2017 too. That’s consistency. And it also happens to be the least expensive of all the newsletters we subscribe to. That’s value!
Our top performing newsletter for 2018 ( as well as 2017 and 2016) was the best for several reasons:
- 71% Success Rate. Our best performing stock newsletter made 24 recommendations throughout 2018. As of March 29, 2019, 17 of those stock picks are up and 7 are down for a 71% winning rate. So if you buy a stock newsletter, don’t expect every stock to go up. But the overall return of these 24 stocks from our best newsletter of 2018 is now up 25% as of March 29, 2019 compared to the SP500’s 4.9%. That’s impressive!
- Many of their stocks picks tripled or doubled since they were recommended. In fact, this one stock newsletter has an excellent history of picking many stocks that double or triple each year. Its 2018 stock picks were up 183% (OKTA), 107% (PAYC), 82% (ZS), 63% (SHOP), 63% (FICO), 41%, etc. (all as of March 29, 2019).
- 2019 Recommendations off to Strong Start too. See the 2019 Case Study below where I document the performance of each of their 2019 stock picks. One of which, TWLO, is up over 59% in 60 days.
So which newsletter am I talking about? Our best performing stock newsletter for 2018 (and 2017 and 2016) was …:
The final reason we like this stock newsletter is that it also happens to be the cheapest service of all the ones we subscribe to. It is normally $199 a year but it is currently on sale for just $99 a year. So if you are not 100% satisfied, you can also get your money back if you cancel within the first 30 days. Or you can order it for $19 a month and cancel at any time.
This newsletter releases 2 stock picks a month, or 24 per year. But they also release a couple lists each year. For example, on April 1, 2019 they just released these reports which you will also get when you subscribe:
- “Tom Gardner’s Double Down Stock.” ($29 value)
- “1 Total-Conviction Stock for Cable TV’s ‘Ticking Time Bomb’ – One company leads the way as a pioneer in the advertising industry.” ($39 value)
- “One Stock for the Cannabis Boom: The backdoor play into marijuana investing.” ($29 value)
- “Leave Your Wallet at Home: 4 stocks for the digital payments revolution.” ($29 value)
- “Autonomous Vehicles- Not Just Sci-Fi Anymore.” ($29 value)
That alone is $155 worth of reports… FREE.
How will our this top stock newsletter from 2018 perform in 2019? No one knows for sure.
But it looks like they are off to an excellent start already. In fact, one of their January 2019 stocks is already up 59% (as of March 29, 2019).
Read the Case Study below where I detail each of their 2019 picks for more information. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the top 2018 newsletter was also the best performer in 2017.
Let me show you four recent examples of their stock picks. In fact, I now have so much confidence in this service that I now buy all of their recommended stocks in my ETrade account as soon as I get their alerts. Take a look at the CASE STUDY below as I document my experience for 2019 in my real brokerage account…
CASE STUDY (updated March 29, 2019):
- On January 3rd, 2019 this service recommended Twilio stock (ticker is TWLO). I received an email at 1:31 pm ET saying BUY TWILIO.
- When I received the email, the stock was trading about $83, down from the previous close of $86.97. All of the markets were down big that day and I didn’t want to buy it right away.
- TWLO closed at $81.25 that day and I thought I was smart by not buying it.
- The next morning, January 4th, the market was up big and I realized I forgot to buy any TWLO. By the time I got my order in, the stock was already up $7 to $88.
- I bought 22 shares at $88.01 on January 4th as you can see below from my ETrade Confirmation. I typically buy $1,000 to $2,000 of each recommendation in my real account as you can see…
- This stock has continued to go up over the last few weeks. As of Friday, February 8th, 2019 TWLO closed at $114.78 for a profit for me of $583.95 on an investment of just $1941.21. That’s a 30% return for in just 30 days. And that 30% is with me buying the stock at $88.01. Had I bought the stock at $83 at the time of the recommendation I would be up 38%! Take a look at pic from my ETrade account as of the close on Friday, February 8, 2019….
- Obviously, this doesn’t happen all the time. But what I have found that with this one newsletter, most of their trades are profitable and a few are REALLY profitable–THAT is exactly what you need when you build a stock portfolio. You need mostly solid stocks that will outperform the market, but you need a few that double or triple each year.
- FOR EXAMPLE, THIS STOCK PICK DOUBLED. In January 2018 they recommended PAYC. This stock is up 96% for me in just one year.
- FEBRUARY 8, 2019 UPDATE… Their first February pick was released February 7, 2019. I got the email at 1:55pm and immediately bought it. I am already up 8% on that pick in just a day and a half. I am not allowed to release it’s ticker yet.
- FEBRUARY 15, 2019 UPDATE… They release another pick on February 14th. I got my email at 1:41pm and immediately bought $2k of this stock at $46.38. On Friday, February 15th it closed at $51.07 so I am up 10% on that one in a day and a half. Once again, this service is so good that when they recommend a particular stock it seems to drive the price up instantly. FYI–For the Feb 7th pick mentioned above, I am up 14.76% now in 8 and a half days. And for the TWLO pick, after 6 weeks it has backed off a bit but I am still up 21%.
- FEBRUARY 23, UPDATE… TWLO continues to climb. It closed at $116.55 so I am up 32% in 6 weeks. Their Feb 7 pick is still up 5% and their Feb 14 pick is now up 16%. I am also now happy to report that a stock they recommended a year ago has now doubled in price for me. Take a look at my PAYC Total Gain Percentage of 95%:
- MARCH 1, UPDATE… TWLO continues to climb even higher. It closed at $123.53 and I am now up 40% since I bought it on January 4th of this year. This has given me a profit of $776 on a $1941 investment.
Their Feb 7 pick has inched a bit higher this week and I am up 8% on that pick in just 3 weeks. I forgot to mention on Feb 21 there was another recommendation. By the time I placed my order the Feb 21 pick was up $2 but I bought it anyways. It hasn’t moved at all since I bought it as I am up just 0.3%. Finally, on Feb 28 this service released their “5 Best Buys Now” list. This is a recap of some of their previous recommendations that they reiterate as “timely buying opportunities.” If you are just getting started investing, this is a great help.
- MARCH 8, UPDATE… GREAT NEWS THIS WEEK!This week was a down week for the market overall with the SP down 2.2%. Why is that great news you ask? Because stocks are now cheaper than they were last week. If you think the market going down is bad news, then you need to change your mindset. I think of it as a sale and why pay full price for anything? I like to buy when stocks are on sale because I invest for the long term. TWLO was down 5.4% for the week but I am still up 33% since I bought it. In fact, this service re-recommended TWLO when it dropped on March 7 at $115.50. The Feb 7 pick was also down a bit but i am still up 3%.
- MARCH 15, UPDATE…The market was up big but these stocks were up bigger. TWLO is now at $129.38 so my shares are up 46.63% since I bought them on January 4th of 2019. The March 7 pick is up 12%. Their Feb 7th pick is up 4.25%. Feb 21 pick is up 3.03%
- MARCH 29, 2019 UPDATE… The market finished strong with the Dow back close to 26,000. TWLO is holding at $129.18 so my shares are still up 46% since January 4th. The March 7 pick is still up 12% and their Feb 7th pick had a bad week and is only up 1% now. They had a March 21 pick, and it is unchanged.
These stock picks all came from:
How Much Does It Cost?
Surprisingly, in addition to this stock newsletter having the best performance, this newsletter is also the most affordable. The Motley Fool Stock Advisor service is currently on sale. You can now get their March picks for just $19 a month of $99 a year (normally it is $199 a year). In fact, they even have a 30 day money back guarantee. So if you aren’t happy, just call and they will refund your money back– no questions asked.
They also just released their “Top 10 Stocks to Buy Right Now” and the 5 other reports mentioned above.
Based on my TWLO profit of $905 in 60 days on a $2,000 investment, this stock newsletter has already paid for itself for many years. But make sure you DON’T PAY FULL PRICE for this newsletter. Click here to learn more about The Motley Fool Stock Advisor, get their Top 10 Stocks to Buy Now, and see more of their recent picks.
BEST STOCK NEWSLETTER CONCLUSION:
As of March 29, 2019, EACH of the Motley Fool Stock Advisor’s 2016 picks are up, on average, 97%.
Each of their 2017 picks are up, on average, 52%, and their 2018 picks are up 29% on average.
ALL THREE of those years crushed the overall market (as measured by the SP500) by 52%, 31% and 23% respectively. There 2019 picks are off to a good start as well.
In conclusion, based on the last 36+ months of performance, the Motley Fool’s Stock Advisor is the best stock newsletter and it is also the least expensive. It is currently on sale for just $99 a year. If you are looking for solid stock picks (and a few that might double or triple) to add to your portfolios, you simply can’t go wrong.
More Analysis and Examples This Stock Newsletter’s Recommendations and Results
This service recommended stocks like SHOP (up 158% since we bought it), NVDA (up 120%) and MAR (up 97%). To have a stock portfolio that performs well, above all you MUST have a few stocks like these that double or triple in value. This Motley Fool service has a great habit of picking these 2x and 3x stocks, and therefore they continue to be the best stock newsletter of all the newsletters we track!
Still don’t believe it? I didn’t either until I subscribed and saw how this stock newsletter got their amazing returns. I sure wish I had bought Netflix, Amazon, Bookings, Disney, Nvidia, etc. when they recommended them.
As recently as August 2018, the Stock Advisor recommended stocks such as PAYC (up 43.39%), FICO (up 25.77%), and OKTA (up 57.05%).
In our paper trading portfolios, we used 8% trailing stops to minimize risk of any poor picks. This trailing stop also helped us take profits on any high fliers that might have had a significant pullback.
Our Research of the Best Stock Newsletter:
The Fool’s marketing campaign for this service says their portfolio is up an amazing 348% since inception, compared to the SP’s 81%. See the graph below that shows their return versus the S&P500’s return over the same time period. Seems like it is impossible right? But now we see that a lot of their picks do double or triple in a short period of time.
At first we were skeptical because it sounds too good to be true. But based on our current virtual portfolios and digging more into the data they share, we are now believers and we also proclaim the Motley Fool Stock Advisor the BEST stock newsletter of 2018.
The image below shows how they have been very good at picking a few stocks that have amazing returns. Since they recommended these stocks, Netflix is up 17,846%, Amazon is up 11,363%, Marvel was up 5,762% and Priceline up 8,558%. This stock newsletter has a great track record of picking these stocks that are game changers for your portfolio.
Best of all, the Motley Fool currently has this stock newsletter on sale. It usually costs $299 a year, but they currently are running a too-good-to-be-true promotion of just $19 a month or $99 for the year.That is a very reasonable price to pay for such solid stock picks in this stock newsletter. They also have a 30 day, 100% money back guarantee. My recommendation is you try it for at least 6 months and see if at least one of their picks doesn’t go up 50% or more.
To get their next stock picks at this discounted price, you must visit this promotional page otherwise you might end up paying full price for it. We recommend that you review their picks and analysis carefully. Make sure you buy in slowly with the expectation that over a year you should have 10-20 stocks in your portfolio. Do NOT put all of your money in their first few stock picks!
If you want more information on this service, then please read our complete, in-depth Motley Fool Review that will show you all of the features you get when you subscribe to this service.
*November 30, 2018 Update:
A key aspect in selecting a good newsletter would be its consistency in suggesting undervalued stocks. To evaluate this, the WallStreetSurvivor team kept on trading the Fool’s stock picks. Here are some recent highlights from our portfolios for David and Tom’s recommendations since December 2017:
David’s Portfolio Highlights
|Company||Suggested||Price Paid||Last Price||Return|
|OKTA||January + April 2018||34.93||57.23||63.84%|
|AMZN||March + April 2018||1585.52||1898.89||19.76%|
Tom’s Portfolio Highlights
|Company||Suggested||Price Paid||Last Price||Return|
|NFLX||February 2018 (trailing stop order activated)||264.18||361.99||37.02%|
|VRNS||March 2018 (trailing stop order activated)||58.25||75.25||29.18%|
|IRBT||Dec 2017 (trailing stop order activated)||64.30||87.08||35.43%|
One of the most recent suggestion by the Fool’s Stock Advisor is Appian Corporation (APPN:NASDAQ). In nearly two weeks, it has achieved a return of 7.40% in our portfolio and we believe there is still a lot more room for growth. On the 2nd of August 2018, Appian reported its Q2 results with a 39% revenue growth due to a “combination of new customer acquisition, a 119% subscription revenue retention rate among existing customers, and a one-off perpetual software deal. This figure grew much faster than management had previously predicted” (Source: MotleyFool News & Updates). Thanks to our friends at Motley Fool, we were able to get an early seat and capture APPN’s growth.
Another Top Stock Newsletter:
The Fool’s marketing campaign is still supporting its claim that it can beat the market. For example, their current campaign says the Fool’s Stock Advisor is averaging a 347% return since their inception, while the S&P has a 80% return.
There are many other stock advising newsletters on the market that we have evaluated. Our second recommendation would be Chaikin’s PowerFeed newsletter which delivers stock ideas every morning from Monday to Friday. The Chaikin PowerFeed has a lot of advantages. As an example, it is free and organized in a way that makes it readable in less than 2 minutes. However, acting on stock recommendations on a daily basis can consume a lot of time and commission fees. Hence, we believe that the amount of stock picks and time intervals of the Fool’s Stock Advisor can help users efficiently manage their portfolios and meet their investing goals.
How to get The Next Stock Pick
Investing in the S&P can be advantageous due to its simplicity in investing in a diversified portfolio. However, we are confident that the Motley Fool’s Stock Advisor service can generate greater returns with a small effort from the investor. When factoring the discounted price of the service and the return it generates (4 times Standard & Poor’s return), we believe the Stock Advisor is still the best stock newsletter service available in their price range. You can get the next stock picks from this newsletter by clicking here.
Or read our full list of the best investment newsletters.