How to Handle Taxes on Your Investments

Tax time can send shivers through the spines of investors. Declaring investment income when filing taxes is crucial, but it can be complicated. This simple guide will help you handle taxes on your investment.

When you make money stock trading or selling mutual funds, your profits are called capital gains. These gains are taxed at different rates depending on how long you hold the investments. The capital gains on short-term investments, held for less than a year, are taxed at your regular tax rate up to 37 percent. Capital gains on long-term investments, held for a year or more, are taxed at either zero, 15, or 20 percent, depending on your income.

On the flip side, investments sold at loss can reduce your tax burden. Deduct the amount of capital losses from your capital gains when filing.

Your investment brokerage will issue a 1099-B form showing your annual capital gains. Report your capital gains on Form 8949. You should also summarize your annual capital gains on Schedule D, along with selected other information if applicable.

Taxes on Income From Investments

Good investments generate income while you hold them. Stocks, mutual funds, and index funds pay dividends. The companies you’ve invested in will send you the total dividend amount on a 1099-DIV form. Bonds often pay interest. Financial institutions report how much interest you’ve earned on your Form 1099-INT, so long as the interest is more than $10. U.S. Treasury and saving bond interest is taxable at the federal level but usually exempt from taxes at the state level.

Municipal bond interest is tax-free at the federal level and at the state level, so long as your bond was issued in the state you’re living in. Private activity bonds, a type of municipal bond, are safe from ordinary tax but taxable for the alternative minimum tax. This tax is payable if your income is above the current ATM threshold.

Be sure to report all interest and dividends, including tax-exempt interest, on your tax forms 1040, 1040-A, 1040-EZ, and/or 6251.

Using Schedule B

If your interest and dividends total more than $1,500, you must tally them on the supplemental form Schedule B. While you don’t need to use this form if your investments have been less profitable, you can still use it to total your investment income for easy reporting on Form 1040.

Motley Fool - the BEST Stock Picking Newsletter
One of the many benefits of using WallStreetSurvivor is that we subscribe to many stock picking newsletters and virtually trade all of their picks. We then tell you which newsletters are doing the best. For the last 12 months The Motley Fool's Stock Advisor Service has been victorious.  The service had a nearly 80% of their picks with a positive return and some stellar picks like NVDA, CBOE and MAR. Their own advertising says their picks are up 300% compared to the S&P’s 85%. Sign up now for the Fool’s Stock Advisory service at special pricing. Use this link to join for only $19/month. Or you can find out more information with our in-depth review. (Motley Fool review)

Prepare for a Tax Burden

Preparing for a tax burden is an essential part of good investment management. If you simply spend the money you make from your investments throughout the year without thinking about the tax it will incur, you may be in for a nasty case of bill shock. You can combat this by adjusting your withholdings by completing a new W-4. Alternatively, set aside the right percentage of interest, dividends, and capital gains as you receive them so you can hand it back when your tax statement comes in.

Handling your investment income at tax time can be intimidating at first, but once you get used to the process it will become second nature. If you’re nervous about the filing process, communicate with an accountant or financial adviser to ensure you’re handling taxes on your investments correctly.

January 2, 2021 Update: We have just announced our BEST STOCK NEWSLETTER of 2020 AWARD!

CLICK HERE to find out which stock newsletter was up 78% in 2020 (and whose 2019 picks are now up 113%).

*** Our Award for BEST STOCK NEWSLETTER of 2020 ALERT ***

Updated January 2, 2021

At WallStreetSurvivor, we subscribe to dozens stock recommendation and advisory newsletters. There is ONE newsletter that is constantly outperforming all of the others--The Motley Fool Stock Advisor.

Five of their 2020 stock picks have doubled and the average return of all 24 of their stock picks for 2020 is up 78%!

We have been tracking ALL of the Motley Fool stock picks since January 2016. That's 5 years and 120 stock picks. As of Friday, January 1, 2021 the Motley Fool's January stock pick (TSLA) is up 720%, their March pick (ZM) is up 172%, their April pick of SHOP is up 226% and their June pick CRWD is up 120%; and another two have more than doubled. In addition, 10 of their 2019, 12 of their 2018, 11 of their 2017, 15 of their 2016. Most impressively, over the last 5 years that we have been tracking every recommendation, their average stock pick is up 209%--tht means over the last 5 years their stock picks, on average, have TRIPLED!

Now no one can guarantee that their next picks will be as strong, but our 5 years of experience has been super-profitable. The important thing about the Fool stock picks is you have to buy them the day they are recommended because they usually pop 5-10% in the first 72 hours after the release their recommendation. You sure don’t want to risk missing out on their next pick.

Normally the Fool service is priced at $199 per year but they are currently offering a NEW SUBSCRIBER DISCOUNT that allows you to get theiir next 24 stock picks for just $99/year. HERE is the LINK to visit their New Subscriber Discount page.

CLICK HERE to get access to all The Motley Fool’s Stock Picks and their next 12 months of picks for just $99 per Year! 



Robinhood was the first brokerage site to NOT charge commissions when they opened in 2013. They just past 10,000,000 accounts and to celebrate they are offering up to $1,000 in free stock when you open a new account.

Here’s the details: You must click on a special promo link to open your new Robinhood account. Then when you fund your account with at least $10, you will receive one stock valued between $5 and $500. Then, you will get a link to share with your friends. Every time one of your friends opens an account, you will receive another free stock valued between $5 and $500. Click here to learn more about this Special Robinhood offer.

Claim your free stock NOW (before it’s too late)

One response to “How to Handle Taxes on Your Investments”

  1. Big-D says:

    One thing I don’t see you mention is capital gains on mutual funds – that were not bought or sold. The capital gains pass through on a mutual fund you own, but did not transactions on, is the biggest surprise at the end of the year, especially if you do enough you have to pay estimated taxes on it.