In today’s world of avocado toast and brunch mimosas, you might think it near impossible to see an avocado producer do poorly in the market. However, that’s the case with Limoneria. The stock is down nearly 14% in after-hours based on missing profits from avocado sales. Calavo Growers ($CVGW) don’t seem to have that problem, with a stock up .05% AH and up 9.3% for the month.
Limoneria blames the heat
Limoneria is blaming the heat for excessive damage to the avocado quality (that might explain why you have a 3 minute window to get a good avocado). One bright note to the company’s report was that strong lemon and orange sales were strong, and those helped bolster the company so they didn’t get mashed like fresh guac.
The company also narrowed it’s guidance for the full year, putting estimates in the $0.65-$0.70 range vs a high of $0.75 EPS. Not really surprising as the weather cools off, people stay indoors more, and are looking for pumpkin spice, not a fresh brunch with avocados.
Limoneria is the citrus master
Limoneria plans to sell approximately 3.2-3.4 million cases of fresh lemons at a price of $25.50 a carton, and they are forecasting to sell 6.3 million pounds of avocados at an average of $1.04 a pound. To put that in perspective, they are going to sell enough lemons to make 88 million gallons of lemonade, and enough avocados to make 3.15 million pounds of guacamole.
California droughts have impacted citrus prices
*** SPECIAL ALERT -- May 10, 2020 -- Motley Fool Stock Picks On FIRE! ****The recent Motley Fool stocks picks, even with this COVID crisis, are STILL performing well and beating the SP500! Here are some of their most recent picks and their performance:
- Shopify (SHOP) – April 2, 2020 pick and it is already up 90%
- Zoom Video (ZM) – March 19, 2020 pick and it is already up 16%
- DexCom (DXCM) picked Feb 20, 2020 right before the market crashed and it is still up 17%
- Tesla (TSLA) picked January 2, 2020 before the crash and it is up 77% compared to the SP500 -12% so it is ahead of the market by 89%
- HubSpot (HUBS) picked December 5, 2019 and it is up 4%
- Netflix (NFLX) picked November 21, 2019 and it is up 37%
- Trade Desk (TTD) picked November 11, 2019 and up 50%
- Zoom Video originally picked Oct 3 and it is up 87%
- SolarEdge (SEDG) picked September 19, 2019 and it is up 20%
- Zoom was also picked October 3, 2019 and it is up 95% since then.
Normally the Fool service is priced at $199 per year but they are currently offering it for just $99/year if you click this link.
Hurry! Order now so you will get their next stock pick! Here is the expected schedule of release dates for their stock picks...:
- June 4 - Tom's New Recommendation
- June 11 - Tom's New Best Buys Now
- June 18 - David's New Recommendation
- June 25 - David New Best Buys Now
Recent California droughts have impacted citrus prices, and sent shares of $LMNR up it’s near 52 week high. This correction could see a fantastic buying opportunity for a stock that has a dividend, and a nearly 20% payout ratio.
Looking at AH trading price of $27.77 on 9/10/18, and the option chain, you can find significant value to be had. Buying 10 call contracts of 15 MAR 2019 $35 CALL at $3.00 an option, your entry price is $3,000. Having the stock hit $34 by 15 DEC 2018 brings you a profit of $1,120, a 37.3% gain on your money.