From corn to cryptocurrency, nowadays you can invest in just about anything. Ever since the financial crisis of 2008, popularity of alternative investments has skyrocketed. Among these increasingly popular alternative investments, lithium has gained worldwide attention because of rapidly increasing demand.
What is lithium?
ALSO READ: American Icon rides across the pond
Besides obligatory memorization of the periodic table in 10th grade chemistry class, most of us probably haven’t put a lot of thought into lithium. So, in case you need a refresher, Lithium silvery-white soft alkali metal. It is the lightest solid element known to man, and is highly reactive and flammable. Lithium is used in heat-resistant glass, ceramics, steel production, and batteries.
So why is lithium a good investment?
It turns out, the increasing demand for lithium is mostly due to the clean energy/technology revolution of the last decade. Lithium-ion batteries, which are used in everything from smartphones to electric cars, are the primary product responsible the spike. These batteries are widely replacing the traditional nickel-metal hydride batteries because of their scalability and increased efficiency.
With this new found technology, production of usable lithium has tripled in the last decade. The price of lithium is shooting up as well, as pictured in the graph below:
*** SPECIAL ALERT -- May 10, 2020 -- Motley Fool Stock Picks On FIRE! ****The recent Motley Fool stocks picks, even with this COVID crisis, are STILL performing well and beating the SP500! Here are some of their most recent picks and their performance:
- Shopify (SHOP) – April 2, 2020 pick and it is already up 90%
- Zoom Video (ZM) – March 19, 2020 pick and it is already up 16%
- DexCom (DXCM) picked Feb 20, 2020 right before the market crashed and it is still up 17%
- Tesla (TSLA) picked January 2, 2020 before the crash and it is up 77% compared to the SP500 -12% so it is ahead of the market by 89%
- HubSpot (HUBS) picked December 5, 2019 and it is up 4%
- Netflix (NFLX) picked November 21, 2019 and it is up 37%
- Trade Desk (TTD) picked November 11, 2019 and up 50%
- Zoom Video originally picked Oct 3 and it is up 87%
- SolarEdge (SEDG) picked September 19, 2019 and it is up 20%
- Zoom was also picked October 3, 2019 and it is up 95% since then.
Normally the Fool service is priced at $199 per year but they are currently offering it for just $99/year if you click this link.
Hurry! Order now so you will get their next stock pick! Here is the expected schedule of release dates for their stock picks...:
- June 4 - Tom's New Recommendation
- June 11 - Tom's New Best Buys Now
- June 18 - David's New Recommendation
- June 25 - David New Best Buys Now
How to invest
Naturally, investors want to profit anytime they see a price spike like lithium has had. Therefore, they constructed investment vehicles to make money off of the lithium boom. There are two primary ways to invest in the Lithium market. First, you can buy stock in companies involved in lithium mining or lithium battery production. Sociedad Quimica y Minera (NYSE: SQM), FMC Corporation (NYSE: FMC), and Ablemarle Corporation (NYSE: ALB) are three of the most popular stocks for investing in lithium.
Motley Fool - the BEST Stock Picking Newsletter
Second, you can buy into Global X Lithium ETF (NYSE: LIT), which attempts to follow the Solactive Global Lithium Index by investing in companies like the ones listed above and more. This offers a more comprehensive and diversified way to gain exposure to the lithium market.
Both options offer dependable ways to secure your piece of the lithium market, which has a bright future if it continues to be as popular as it has recently become. Don’t miss out on your chance to profit: invest today!